Sunday, May 29, 2011

A New Adventure Begins


Even though I'm almost 32, married almost 10 years with almost 2 kids (one due in November), in many ways I feel like I'm just starting out. My husband, Dan, was recently accepted as an active duty chaplain for the Army. We are living out of a 1 bedroom suite at an Army Inn at Fort Jackson, SC, for the next 3 months while Dan completes his Chaplain Basic course before moving to our first active duty assignment at Fort Drum, NY. With no home and no friends (yet!), we are starting over. One would think it's a scary thing, but I don't feel fear. God has so beautifully and specifically opened doors leading us every step of the way!

It's been interesting transitioning from civilian life to army life. So far most folks are pretty helpful, but there are certainly some who don't really want to take the time to explain the millions of acronyms that become part of everyday language here... it can be hard to keep up at times! Met a navy wife today who said deployments are harder on the spouse when the kids are really young, but harder on the kids as they get older. She made a good point, one that I'll hold on to in the coming years.

Here at Fort Jackson, I'm mostly looking forward to investing in some kind of community. Daniella and I could certainly use some interaction beyond each other!

5 comments:

david.moen said...

http://www.acronymslist.com/cat/us-army-acronyms-(official).html

pallu said...

God bless you both! We miss you.

Lori Hardy said...

Sasha, you will be such a blessing to those army wives. I have been praying since Dan announced your departure from FBC that God would provide the relationships you need during this transition....and I truly trust that He will provide! Love this blog idea....my cousin spent a year in Thailand and blogged the whole time...its a great way to stay in touch.
Love & prayers ~ Mum-Mum

Mike Massand said...

What a great idea, Sash! We love that you are embracing this new phase of your life with such excitement and faith in the Lord. He has been such a guiding light in your family's life. Our love and blessings are always with you!
Love, Mom and Dad

Sunita said...

Wish I could be there with you! Glad to hear how well you are transitioning. I'm looking forward to reading playdate reports soon!